In the United States alone, 27 million people ride their motorbikes on a daily basis as a form of commute or a hobby, but did you know that approximately 7 million of them are women? With a 12% increase in motorcycle ownership for women, it is a no-brainer that the ladies are also hooked on the motorcycle trend.
Riding is no longer a passion for the men alone. And with that, it is extremely important that women have the best head protection gear as they make their trips. We will give you the list of the top women’s motorcycle helmets for you to get yourself the most suitable helmet you can use in your every day rides.
We can all agree that one of the most important accessories for motorcycle riding is the helmet. It is then imperative that like men, women should also be very meticulous with the helmets that they buy in the dealerships or online.
A lot of people ask, do men and women’s helmets have differences? The answer is a big yes! Other than design, women’s motorcycle helmets sizes are smaller than their counterparts. It is also worth it to mention that most women’s head gears have a hole in the back for the ladies’ ponytails to come out. Experts have advised that women should try the helmet first before purchasing it to ensure the perfect comfort and fit.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HELMETS FOR WOMEN
Aside from stylish and stand-out designs, the world’s top helmet manufacturers highly consider the types of helmets that they make available for the active female riders. Some women prefer the German style motorcycle helmets which are half helmets while others want a full-faced helmet for better protection against crashes and head injuries. So let us take a closer look at how these types of helmets vary in their performances.
- Off-Road helmet: It is usually found worn by motocross riders and those that participate in similar extreme sports. It covers the whole head and is made extremely durable to minimize the impact of head traumas the rider may get from crashes.
- Full-face helmet: This type of helmet covers the whole head and face and often comes with different-colored sun visors. This offers the best head protection among all other types. It also comes with a flip-up visor to enable the wearer to see better but since there are people who suffers from claustrophobia (fear of tight and confined spaces), this helmet is not for every woman out there. Another downside of full face helmet is the heat build-up in long periods of use and the noise the lid creates when riding at high speeds.
- Modular helmet: The helmet offers more open space in the face. You are given the option to turn it into a three-quarter helmet when you flip up the chin bar. However, it is highly advised that once you are riding your bike, the chin bar put be put down as putting it up posts a greater and increased risk in neck injuries if an accident takes place.
- Half-helmet. Also best known as the “shorty”, this helmet covers only the top head part of the wearer. This type of helmet is ideal for people who are claustrophobic. A strap secures the helmet in place leaving the eyes, ears and mouth open to air.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR BUYING THE BEST HELMET FOR WOMEN
- Always makes sure that your choices are Snell or DOT certified. These agencies have reliable safety standards that measure the efficiency of helmets for the wearers.
- Get the right fit by having your head’s circumference measured.
- Know what material is your helmet made of. Opt for the safest and the most durable that can last you a long time.
- Choose one that has a good sun visor. It is recommended to pick one that offers the best protection against the harmful rays of the sun.
- You can find women’s motorcycle helmets in bike shops, motorcycle gear stores, auction websites and manufacturer’s websites.
- Most importantly, if you have ever had a crash with your recent helmet, you ought to purchase a new one as the composition of your helmet might have been compromised. It may not be as effective in protecting you for yet another crash.
Now that we have discussed the different types of helmets, here is the list of the finest women’s motorcycle helmets every biker chick should check out.
If you want to learn more about The Best Motorcycle Helmets visit our additional resources: